About Us

Our History:

                 This unpretentious, dignified little church at the corner of 2nd St. West and 1st Ave North has been standing for 140 years due to loving care and ministering of its parish family. It is reported that its first church service in the new church took place at 11:00 o’clock July 8, 1882 with Bishop Machray (later Archbishop) officiating. The exterior of the Church of the Ascension, built from the local limestone, remains as solid and peaceful as the day it was built. The chancel was added during the ministry of Rev. E. L. Howe in 1906. As the church structure remains resolute through time and weather , its interior has continually adapted to the growing needs of its congregation.

             When looking at the history of the church one cannot forget to mention the beautiful stained glass windows that are so much a part of the church. The large center altar window was installed in 1907 and was given in the memory of ,Anna Claire Jackson, daughter of Samuel (Stonewall) Jackson, founder of the town of Stonewall. It was refurbished in 1992 and rededicated at the 110th anniversary celebrations. Bordering this window are two smaller windows originally donated by the Sunday School in 1907. other windows on the west end of the church were given in memory of congregation members who lost their lives during World War 1 between 1914-1918 and the Pearson family donated the “Rose” window above the entrance way door in 1965.

             The story of the parish would not be complete without the mention of the parish hall (Parochial Hall) that was built in 1901 because the Sunday School was getting to big to meet in the church. It is reported to have cost $815.00 to build, was renovated in 1948 but eventually had to be replaced and was demolished in the summer of 2001 and a new hall built in 2002 at a cost of $300,000.00. Another Church that is associated with us is All Saint Victoria which is located on Road 81N off of Hwy 7.

Our Church Community:

             We have approximately 60 families on the parish list. The Visitation group is very busy visiting people in our senior homes here in Stonewall and the Hospital. There is a small Prayer group that meets weekly along with the Minister to discuss the weeks lections and celebrate Eucharist together. We also have a Bible study meeting weekly, it starts in September and runs until the end of May with a break for Christmas. Some of the other group that are in our church is the Alter guild, Worship committee and a social committee. If you wish to learn more click on the “Parish Profile” link to get our Parish Profile in PDF format

Our Dioceses

If you wish more information on the Dioceses of Rupert’s Land click here or the Anglican Church of Canada just click the links.